[Samba] Problems after PC is joined to the domain - Samba 4

Theodotos Andreou theo at ubuntucy.org
Thu Jun 5 01:45:59 MDT 2014

On 06/05/2014 10:15 AM, Theodotos Andreou wrote:
> On 06/04/2014 01:46 PM, steve wrote:

>> Please correct this line.
> But this follows exactly the guide you send me previously
>> The DHCP configuration is also in the dns howto.
> dhcp client config is ok:
>
> root at ENT01LP628:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>         dns-nameservers 10.1.11.50 # this is to override 127.0.0.1
>
>>> resolv.conf:
>>>
>>> # cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
>>> resolvconf(8)
>>> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
>>> nameserver 127.0.1.1
>>> search dom.forest.int
>>>
>> No. Set the IP of the DC as the only nameserver. The dns configuration
>> is also in the howto.
> I will need to use the master DNS which is our unix based IPAM because
> the zones on the DCs are secondary.
>>> Ubuntu is using the dnsmasq-base on all recent version hence the
>>> 127.0.0.1 above
>>>
>> Disable dnsmasq just in case.
>>
>>> nscd is not installed (It is not mentioned in the guide).
>>> So probably the problem is nscd?
>> No.
>>> Should I install it?
>> No.
> OK I won't :)
>> Now un-join and then rejoin.
>> How are you updating the dns?
>> HTH
>> Steve
>>

> Our DNS setup is rather peculiar. The domain controllers have only
> secondary zones that update our IPAM (which is the master), when a PC
> joins the domain. So you need to get the domain, PC hostnames, etc
> from the master.
>
> Also it appears that having the FQDN in /etc/hostname is a bad idea:
>
> $ nslookup mypcname.dom.forest.int
> Server:        127.0.0.1
> Address:    127.0.0.1#53
>
> Name:    mypcname.dom.forest.int.dom.forest.int
> Address: 10.100.1.190
>
> It seems that having the FQDN in /etc/hostname makes ubuntu believe
> that this is a simple hostname. Not sure what to think of it.
> According to the man page:
>
> //etc/hostname Historically this file was supposed to only contain the
> hostname and not the full canonical FQDN.*Nowadays most software is
> able to cope with a full FQDN here*. This file is read at boot time by
> the system initialization scripts to set the hostname.
> /
> Apparently DNS and DHCP are not onw of those software :)
>
> I fixed /etc/hostname to the actual hostname and continued.
>
> Leaving domain was OK. Joining again gave:
>
> # net ads join -U 'admin'
> Enter admin's password:
> Using short domain name -- DOM
> Joined 'MYPCNAME' to dns domain 'dom.forest.int'
> [...]
Ignore the SFU related comment. The manual says:

"Defines the schema that idmap_ad should use when querying Active
Directory regarding user and group information. *This can be either the
RFC2307 schema support included in Windows 2003 R2* or the Service for
Unix (SFU) schema. For SFU 3.0 or 3.5 please choose "sfu", for SFU 2.0
please choose"