[Samba] Called name not present error, but only once!

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 15:18:07 MDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM, pisymbol . <pisymbol at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am trying to use the net time command to sync a server:
>
> $ net ads time -S ale.hunt.com
>
> (hunt.com is just for internal use only)
>
> I see an immediate response like so:

> NBT SessionReject
> Flags=0x0
> Length=1 (0x1)
> Reason=0x82
> Called name not present
>
> "Called name not present" - alright but....
>
> # nmblookup -A 192.168.17.53
> Looking up status of 192.168.17.53
>     ALE             <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
>     HUNT            <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
>     HUNT            <1c> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
>     ALE             <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
>     HUNT            <1b> -         M <ACTIVE>
>
>     MAC Address = 00-01-6C-2F-1A-A8
>
> If I do the same command a second time, it just works and continues to
> work from then on. Nice. But why? The net command debug output seemed to
> indicate it choose ALE#20 the first time it failed but that seems OK to me.
>
> Why does the first call to 'net ads time' fail with 0x82 but from then
> after, it just succeeds?
>
> This only happens on the first call after the CentOS 6.5 x86-64 VM has
> been rebooted.
>
> # rpm -qa| grep samba
> samba-winbind-clients-3.6.9-164.el6.x86_64
> samba-winbind-3.6.9-164.el6.x86_64
> samba-client-3.6.9-164.el6.x86_64
> samba-common-3.6.9-164.el6.x86_64
>
> Very weird. I noticed source (3.6-stable) has a few interesting comments
> in this area:
>
> 858e63cab:
>

> 2948 /* This is the wrong place to put the error... JRA. */

Note, the original NetBIOS spec (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1002 ),
seems to indicate that 0x82 packets are non-fatal in certain cases:

CALLED NAME NOT PRESENT:
                     BEGIN
                       /*
                        * called name does not exist on
                        * remote node
                        */

                       inform name discovery procedure
                            of possible error;

                       IF this is a P or M node THEN
                       BEGIN
                            /*
                             * Inform NetBIOS Name Server
                             * it has returned incorrect
                             * information.
                             */
                            send NAME RELEASE REQUEST for called
                              name and IP address to
                              NetBIOS Name Server;
                       END
                       /* retry from beginning */
                       retarget = FALSE;
                       name_query = TRUE;
                       goto LOOP;

I have not looked at master, but wondering if someone would be kind to
explain to me what's really going on here?

-aps