[Samba] Samba on Chrome OS

Eli Grey me at eligrey.com
Thu Jul 31 12:19:58 MDT 2014

Also, Jeremy: In order to persuade you to care about having a Samba
server, I have an anecdote that might help.

I have a chroot on my Chromebook Pixel that is about ~8GB gzipped (for
backup purposes), and whenever I tried to transfer it to USB drives
formatted as exFAT or NTFS for my Windows desktop, any USB drives I
used (tried 2 different 32GB USB 3.0 drives and a 16GB USB 2.0 drive)
would randomly dismount partway through the transfer. The only way to
get to get it to my desktop was to install cifs stuff on my chroot and
use that to transfer the files.