[Samba] samba print server and driver snmp request

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Sun Jul 20 14:32:52 MDT 2014

Am 20.07.2014 18:59, schrieb cyril at toile-libre.org:
> Hi,
>
> A traffic analysis show that the windows client driver try to send
> snmp request to the samba server ip address but these snmp packets are
> not routed to the printers.
>
> A windows print server use a standard tcp ip port with an otpion to
> use snmp.
> Is there a way to enable snmp on the samba printer port and make the
> windows printer driver can communicate with the printers ?
>
> Thanks
> Cyril

Hi Cyril,

I'd like to add a few notes. Kyocera Universal Drivers behave similar to
the way you describe it, if i use them on an windows pc, the driver is
able to read the required settings from the printer. If i use em on
samba i have to enter the printers ip address manuall once.
HP universal drivers also seem to require snmp and newer drivers need to
be modified with hp's admin toolkit to get them working on samba.
To me it seems more like the drivers try to identify the printer
address/name to make snmp queries and this does not work with samba atm.

achim~