[Samba] Co-existing domains

Koenraad Lelong samba.k.lelong at ace-electronics.be
Thu Jul 17 08:18:17 MDT 2014

op 11-07-14 19:05, Marc Muehlfeld schreef:
> Hello Koenraad,
>
> Am 11.07.2014 11:33, schrieb Koenraad Lelong:
>> I want to migrate from the first to the second.
> But if you want to migrate, why do you want to create the new domain
> from scratch? You have to re-create all user/groups, join all all
> machines again to the domain, and much more work.
>
> You should think about migrating your domain:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29
>
> User/machine accounts, groups, etc. are transfered, SIDs stay the same, etc.

I spent hours/days trying to do a classic-upgrade in a test-network.
Never succeeded. I finally decided to do a clean install. I don't have
that much users and machines so it's feasable. And it will be a clean
system. If you know that I used the original domain since '94, first
Windows, later vampired to samba3 who knows what rubbish it present.
I think the biggest task will be to transfer file-ownerships.

Since I'm considering using zentyal (pro version) I will ask if they can
do a classic-upgrade.

Koenraad.