[Samba] Co-existing domains

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Fri Jul 11 11:05:12 MDT 2014

Hello Koenraad,

Am 11.07.2014 11:33, schrieb Koenraad Lelong:
> Just to make sure : I can have the following domains on the same subnet
> without interfering with each other. Right ?
> Samba3 PDC : my_domain
> Samba4 AD DC : ad01.example.com

Sure they can. As long as they have different NETBIOS names and domain SIDs.

> I want to migrate from the first to the second.

But if you want to migrate, why do you want to create the new domain
from scratch? You have to re-create all user/groups, join all all
machines again to the domain, and much more work.

You should think about migrating your domain:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29

User/machine accounts, groups, etc. are transfered, SIDs stay the same, etc.

Regards,
Marc