[Samba] guide to install samba

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 05:04:09 MDT 2014

On 14/07/14 10:47, marcos wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have and old system with samba 3.0.3 and I will migrate to a new
> server with debian jessie and samba 4. Im looking but Im not sure to
> create the structure samba + ldap + cups a good howto. My idea is to
> configure to use windows 7 how a clients. Any suggestions?
>
> The only seems to be good
>
> http://www.unixmen.com/setup-samba-domain-controller-with-openldap-backend-in-ubuntu-13-04/
>
> but is for ubuntu and I don't know If it's the same for samba 4.
>
> Thanks!

Hi, not sure what you are trying to achieve here, if you just want to
upgrade samba and end up with a NT style PDC then you should be able to
follow that post, but you probably should upgrade to an AD DC, NT style
PDC's are extremely old and have not been really been supported by
microsoft for some time and they may remove support at any time.

If you do decide to go for the AD DC, then the samba wiki will be your
friend, or it would be if it wasn't down for maintenance ;-)

Rowland