[Samba] virtualization!?!?!

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:44:18 MDT 2014

I have used the free vmware converter tool to convert linux and windows
machines to vmware.       it is a great tools and big time saver.

The migrated machine will by default have a NIC with a different MAC
address.  So on rebooting the linux machine will detect that the
physical NIC with the MAC associated  with e.g.  eth0 is no longer in
existence, and than a new NIC (with a difft MAC) exists and will be
assigned to e.g. eth1.          You will need to reconfig your network
settings.  Depending on linux version, there may be old entries in udev
files that you need to clean up.

Depending on the physical network card in the source machine, Vmware may
not have an equivant virtual one.  so again you may have to reconfig
your network settings on the new machine.

You may have an option to resize disks or partitions.   I found when
converting windows servers with dynamic disks and software raid, that
the conversion process would then detect each file system twice.   I
don't recall this being an issue on P2V migrations of  linux machines
with software raid.

the nice thing about the converter is if the conversion fails, you can
redo it since the orig machine is not touched.