[Samba] How to join a Linux machine to a Samba4 domain

Lea Massiot lmloge at orange.fr
Fri Jan 31 03:24:48 MST 2014

Hello,

Steve:

> No. If you want to create a share and serve files from it then it's not a
> minimum install.
> You will have to run smbd.
> In this case, I'd install from source exactly as you did for the DC.
> But _do not_ provision it as a DC.

Ok. So indeed, a minimum install is not what I need after all.

> You are also going to need some sort of id mapping so that you know which
> users own which files.
> This may or may not affect the [global] section of your smb.conf.

This I do not understand.

> We now move into an area in which I am no longer allowed to help :(

This I do not understand either.
What's the use of a domain if there are no shares on the machines both Linux
an Windows?
I mean, it is a Samba(4) domain, not a pure "Windows" domain.
Maybe I'm missing a point but this is what actually a domain controller is
useful for in my company: having shares on the machines accessing them
securely and freely.

Rowland:

> Now comes the problem, samba would like you to use the winbind package
> to extract the ad info from your AD server, but I struggle to make
> this work and use a package that It would seem that we are not allowed to
> mention.

Confusing indeed.

Best regards.