[Samba] How to join a Linux machine to a Samba4 domain

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 31 03:03:07 MST 2014

On 31/01/14 09:35, Lea Massiot wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> -- Rowland:
>
>> Have you compiled samba-4.1.4 on the client as well as on the server?
> No. I haven't.
> The good reason is the following: I'm not going to do anything before I know
> what is necessary and sufficient to make "this" work.
> "This" being:
> 1) Joining a "Linux" ("Debian Wheezy") machine to the "Samba4 AD DC" domain.
> 2) Creating a share on this very same "Linux" client machine.
>
>> If not then you need to install samba via apt-get
> Which "Samba"? Which "Debian" package?
You could install either samba or samba4, but I would just install the
samba package (confusing isn't it)

apt-get install samba

Now comes the problem, samba would like you to use the winbind package
to extract the ad info from your AD server, but I struggle to make this
work and use a package that It would seem that we are not allowed to
mention.

Rowland