[Samba] Manage unix users from AD

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jan 29 00:37:59 MST 2014

Samba Team, Steve.. ,

Before you childeren kick one and everybody is leaving..
Which is not good for samba and the community.
Im thinking, it should not be that Steve or others have to be removed from the list.

Steve did help a lot of people with getting there samba4 running, lets not forget that.
They helped me, Samba Team helped me..
So im not taking any pro's or cons for Steve OR the samba team, but i need to say this.

What steve Wrote:
All I can do is reiterate that in all our 8 months of production with Samba4 domain, we have NEVER used winbind.
.... So great for you, you got it nice working.

I dont think we need a contest, its a draw, both work. as simple as that.

This complete stupid discussion should not be needed and should not exist at all.

So solution...
Better info on the wiki, and again real life examples !
Just set up de matrix with Pro's and Cons between them en thats it.

So in short.

A DC is a DC, and JUST a DC. ( with dhcp +dns ), on the DC you DONT install samba-winbind, the dc has samba4-winbind included.
	This is a limited version ! see wiki

If you somehow really really really need rfc2307 on your DC then.
	1) your network design can be better.
	2) sssd can help you, but is NOT supported by the samba team.

Yes.....  correct in short..  !!!
Everybody agreed?

closed disscussion for me.

Best regards,