[Samba] vfs_shadow_copy2 with different snapshot format

Lee Allen lee at leecallen.com
Mon Jan 27 13:41:25 MST 2014

If I could piggyback on this thread, my issue is very similar...

smb.conf:
shadow: format = zfs-auto-snap_frequent-%Y-%m-%d-%H%M

As you might guess, I am using the zfs-auto-snapshot package, and I don't
have control over snapshot names.  It assigns names like:
zfs-auto-snap_daily-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM
zfs-auto-snap_hourly-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM
zfs-auto-snap_frequent-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM

So my shadow: format mask is not a match with the real snapshot names.

Under Windows my 'Restore previous versions' shows only previous versions
for today, as the OP also experienced.  I have been intentionally modifying
this file a couple times a day for the past 2 days.

Is there a "shadow: format" syntax that lets me just ignore that 3rd word
(daily/hourly/frequent), or perhaps all of the text prior to the date/time
string?

Thanks

Lee