[Samba] gpfs + sernet samba + ctdb + transparent failover confusion

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 10:24:15 MST 2014

My testing consists of :

1) Use firefox on the client to download a 4.2GB DVD iso into the share
(write)
2) Copy an existing 4.2GB DVD iso from the share to the client's local
drive (read)
3) Copy an old c:\windows.old directory (left over after a windows 7 to
windows 8 upgrade) with lots of small files from the client to the share
(write)
4) Delete the windows.old directory on the share (delete on lots of small
files)

I let each of the tests above run for a few seconds and then I run "ctdb
disable" on the server which the client is connected to (IP verified with
netstat -n on the client). As mentioned I almost always get a copy re-try
window (or download failure in firefox) that pops up on the reads and
writes, except sometimes in test 3 where the "ctdb disable" somehow
coincides with the time between closing a file and opening the next file to
be copied so that the copy hangs until the ctdb ip failover occurs. Test 4
(delete) never throws a re-try dialog.

Thanks,
Sabuj