[Samba] gpfs + sernet samba + ctdb + transparent failover confusion

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 10:11:21 MST 2014

> but with both reads

> > and writes a re-try window is thrown immediately or after the meter hits
> 0
> > bytes per second by the windows client when ctdb is disabled (using "ctdb
> > disable") on the server that the client is initially connected to.
>
> That should not happen. I assume that you use a new-enough
> windows? (i.e. vista or newer)
>
> Maybe I need to re-test with the software versions that you
> mentioned.
>
> Durable handle should be enough for I/O to survive a ctdb disable.
> As said above: I might need to re-test with latest versions...  :-/
> There might of course be a regression.

The client is windows 8 enterprise with all the updates, the servers are
rhel 6.4, gpfs 3.5.0.12, sernet samba 4.1.4-7, sernet ctdb 1.0.114.7-1 . I
also have a windows 7 enterprise client I should test. Also, whats the
difference between the sernet ctdb 1.0.1114.7-1 and what seems to be the
"latest" ctdb v2.5.1 on ftp.samba.org other than a timestamp difference of
a few months? Why is the sernet ctdb using the v1.0 line and not the v2.5.1
line ? I think I mentioned this earlier but the binary provided ctdb 2.5.1
rpm's from samba.org or a self compiled (rpmbuild -bb) version refuses to
be installed with the sernet-samba 4.1.4-7 packages due to a requirement
that it can only use ctdb 1.0.115 (a typo in the .spec deps I guess?). The
only way I can install 2.5.1 is with make install, but again I have doubts
about whether I should use it with sernet-samba which seems to not like
anything other than ctdb 1.0.x .

Thanks,
Sabuj