[Samba] Samba Xattr and Execute Bit always set.

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Jan 18 03:21:40 MST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-18 at 11:10 +0100, Prunk Dump wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a samba4 PDC and I would like to give access to linux and
> windows users the same home directory.
>
> -> On the server, samba seems respect the Unix rights and Acls on the
> shared file system with winbind. So I can control directly the rights
> for my samba4 users/groups with the standard unix tools (chown, chmod,
> setfacl...)
>
> -> On windows clients, everything works fine ! Acl, Dos attributes,
> ... . But all the files created on the server have all the UNIX x bits
> set.
>
> -> On linux, the x bits set on the server, appears on the client. And
> all the new files have all the UNIX x bits set. The user can remove
> the user/other x bit with chmod but not the group x bit. If I disable
> all the x bits on a file from the server, make chmod u+x on the client
> make also the group x bit appear.
>
> My samba PDC use xattr so "map archive = no" is useless.
> Also "create mask = 0644" does not works.
>
> How can I make the UNIX(rights, owner, group) <-> UNIX(rights, owner,
> group) mapping on the samba share ?
>
> Thanks !
What you see in a directory listing (the drwxrwxrwx part) doesn't
usually have anything to do with the xattr's that have been set. You can
see the actual permissions on the windows security tab. I'm not sure if
there is an easy way to see this on a Samba file server. Remember that
that chmod is not changing any xattr's.
HTH
Steve