[Samba] Samba4 AD DC Domain name question

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Jan 9 01:13:34 MST 2014

host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.subdom    gives nothing, thats correct.
host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.subdom.dom.com  is also correct.

My question is:
>Is this normal domain name behavior?  How do I make it
>consistent use of just the subdom part?  Keep in mind that
>only the subdom part was used when provisioning the domain.

in /etc/resolve.conf
add:
search subdom
nameserver IP_OF_AD_SERVER

but before you do that.
type : hostname -f returns  ..
should be ..  hostname.(subdom).dom.com
hostname -d returns (subdom).dom.com
hostname -s  returns hostname

If this doesnt match, you can fix it.
change the hostname ( in fqdn ) in /etc/hostname
then type:  hostname -f /etc/hostname

test again.

>If the server thinks the domain name is subdom.dom.com should
>that be the entry in smb.conf for member servers?
then yes it should  ( same as the /etc/krb5.conf )

>When users map drives from non-member systems, I assume that
>they will need to use subdom.dom.com vs just subdom
if you dns is working correct you can always use the fqdn.

Greetz,

Louis