[Samba] Samba4 AD DC Domain name question

Werthmuller, Derek dwerthmu at ctg.albany.edu
Wed Jan 8 12:38:49 MST 2014

I've been working on setting up the Sernet 4.1x series samba builds for Centos 6.
Provisioned via sudo /usr/bin/samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 -interactive

With the goal of providing authentication, user and group management with file and print services to Widows 7/8 clients, & authentication user and group management for Linux system users.

The question is around my confusion of the official domain name.

The domain name used on the DC in smb.conf as subdom

When doing a DNS search for the name of the DC.
# host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.subdom
Returns no values.
host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.subdom.dom.com
returns the records for the DC.

When trying to add a windows 7 client as a domain member, using subdom returns can't find DC.   But the use of subdom.dom.com allows the windows 7 client to be successfully added to the domain.

My question is:
Is this normal domain name behavior?  How do I make it consistent use of just the subdom part?  Keep in mind that only the subdom part was used when provisioning the domain.

If the server thinks the domain name is subdom.dom.com should that be the entry in smb.conf for member servers?

When users map drives from non-member systems, I assume that they will need to use subdom.dom.com vs just subdom

Thanks
                Derek