[Samba] smbclient broken after update

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 14 15:34:05 MST 2014

On 14/02/14 22:01, Peter Serbe wrote:

> [...]
>    smb: 10
>    rpc_parse: 10
>    rpc_srv: 10
>    rpc_cli: 10
>    passdb: 10
>    sam: 10
>    auth: 10
>    winbind: 10
>    vfs: 10
>    idmap: 10
>    quota: 10
>    acls: 10
>    locking: 10
>    msdfs: 10
>    dmapi: 10
>    registry: 10
>    scavenger: 10
>    dns: 10
>    ldb: 10
> lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
> Initialising global parameters
> rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
> INFO: Current debug levels:
>    all: 10
>    tdb: 10
>    printdrivers: 10
>    lanman: 10
>    smb: 10
>    rpc_parse: 10
>    rpc_srv: 10
>    rpc_cli: 10
>    passdb: 10
>    sam: 10
>    auth: 10
>    winbind: 10
>    vfs: 10
>    idmap: 10
>    quota: 10
>    acls: 10
>    locking: 10
>    msdfs: 10
>    dmapi: 10
>    registry: 10
>    scavenger: 10
>    dns: 10
>    ldb: 10
> params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
> Processing section "[global]"
> doing parameter workgroup = SERBE
> doing parameter realm = SERBE.LOCAL
> doing parameter netbios name = ULYSSES
> doing parameter server string = Ulysses
> doing parameter server role = active directory domain controller
> doing parameter server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
> doing parameter wins support = yes
> doing parameter security = user
> doing parameter public = no
> doing parameter username map = /usr/local/samba/etc/users.map
> doing parameter local master = yes
> doing parameter preferred master = yes
> doing parameter os level = 65
> doing parameter template shell = /bin/bash
> doing parameter passdb backend = samba4
> doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
> pm_process() returned Yes
> lp_servicenumber: couldn't find homes
> Netbios name list:-
> my_netbios_names[0]="ULYSSES"
> added interface eth0 ip=192.168.41.10 bcast=192.168.41.255 netmask=255.255.255.0
> Unable to create directory /var/run/samba for file messages.tdb. Error was Keine Berechtigung

Why is it trying to create messages.tdb in /var/run/samba ? My
understanding is that you compiled samba4 yourself, in which case it
should be in  /usr/local/samba/var/lock/

Whoa, hang on, never mind the above, why is the smb.conf the smb.conf
that you had on the samba4 server????

Is the above join being run on the server or the client, if the later,
then you have a real problem and it may be easier to start again, if it
is the former, well you do not join an AD DC server to itself, that is
done automatically at provision time.

Rowland