[Samba] smbclient broken after update

Peter Serbe peter at serbe.ch
Fri Feb 14 15:01:54 MST 2014

Rowland Penny schrieb am 14.02.2014 21:44:

> OK, have you set up /etc/krb5.conf ?
>
> it should look like this:
[snip]

> Did you join the domain ?
>
> net ads join -U administrator
>
> After this I am lost.
>
> Rowland

Dear Rowland,

First of all: Thank You very much for Your patient assistance.
Unfortunately it looks like I will wipe out samba and restart it
from scratch (which I hate, as it means to concede there was
something going on, which I couldn't understand).

I did follow Your advice and updated the krb5.conf - after a
reboot I found that the ticket cache has been empty, i.e. k5start
seemed to stop working (but that doesn't worry me much). So I
did a kinit using my non-admin acount, and then I observe this:
(follows below...)
Btw, something is fishy with the accounts. I have to log in as
DOM\Administrator instead of root. Otherwise I can't open an
ssh in the root account. Then the SSH shell starts in the
home directory of the domain admin, not in /root. I will try
to fix this, before I start the stepwise uninstallation of
samba.

Nevertheless: A big Thank You % best regards
Peter

PS: the transscript of the try to join the domain:
(from the non-root account)

peter at ulysses:~$ net ads join -U administrator -d10
INFO: Current debug levels:
  all: 10
  tdb: 10
  printdrivers: 10
  lanman: 10
  smb: 10
  rpc_parse: 10
  rpc_srv: 10
  rpc_cli: 10
  passdb: 10
  sam: 10
  auth: 10
  winbind: 10
  vfs: 10
  idmap: 10
  quota: 10
  acls: 10
  locking: 10
  msdfs: 10
  dmapi: 10
  registry: 10
  scavenger: 10
  dns: 10
  ldb: 10
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
INFO: Current debug levels:
  all: 10
  tdb: 10
  printdrivers: 10
  lanman: 10
  smb: 10
  rpc_parse: 10
  rpc_srv: 10
  rpc_cli: 10
  passdb: 10
  sam: 10
  auth: 10
  winbind: 10
  vfs: 10
  idmap: 10
  quota: 10
  acls: 10
  locking: 10
  msdfs: 10
  dmapi: 10
  registry: 10
  scavenger: 10
  dns: 10
  ldb: 10
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
doing parameter workgroup = SERBE
doing parameter realm = SERBE.LOCAL
doing parameter netbios name = ULYSSES
doing parameter server string = Ulysses
doing parameter server role = active directory domain controller
doing parameter server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
doing parameter wins support = yes
doing parameter security = user
doing parameter public = no
doing parameter username map = /usr/local/samba/etc/users.map
doing parameter local master = yes
doing parameter preferred master = yes
doing parameter os level = 65
doing parameter template shell = /bin/bash
doing parameter passdb backend = samba4
doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
pm_process() returned Yes
lp_servicenumber: couldn't find homes
Netbios name list:-
my_netbios_names[0]="ULYSSES"
added interface eth0 ip=192.168.41.10 bcast=192.168.41.255 netmask=255.255.255.0
Unable to create directory /var/run/samba for file messages.tdb. Error was Keine Berechtigung
ERROR: Failed to initialise messages database: Keine Berechtigung
messaging_tdb_init failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Host is not configured as a member server.
Invalid configuration.  Exiting....
Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of the domain.
return code = -1
Opening cache file at /var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb
tdb(/var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb: Keine Berechtigung
tdb(/var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Attempt to open gencache.tdb has failed.
peter at ulysses:~$