[Samba] samba 3 to samba 4 migration questions

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Tue Feb 11 10:07:58 MST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> Local users and groups are not affected by AD. All you need to set it up
> is root access + whatever local users your distro needs for what you
> have already.

Sorry, probably wasn't clear on what I meant by "local users".
Virtually all of the users are "Windows" users, but they needed to be
added as Linux users (albeit with no login shell) locally to the PDC
before they could be added to Samba 3 (also forgot to mention that
this is a tdb based Samba 3 PDC). And my concern is that once this
existing server authenticates to a new AD that whatever method is used
(Winbind, etc) the uid/gid's of these users will be different and
therefore file permissions, etc. will need to be remapped.

Thanks,

Chris