[Samba] samba 3 to samba 4 migration questions

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Feb 11 09:34:24 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 11:02 -0500, Chris Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to move the DC properties of an existing Samba 3 server (PDC as
> well as file and print services) to a new Samba 4 AD, while keeping
> the other capabilities (file and print services) intact on the
> existing Samba 3 system.
>
> In some preliminary testing I attempted to follow the "Upgrading on a
> New Server" section of the classic upgrade howto, however, none of the
> current users or machines were picked up. I'm guessing at this point
> that the instructions left out that the underlying Linux users and
> groups need to be transferred (re-created) previous to attempting said
> migration. Or am I overlooking something else?
>
> After (hopefully) successfully moving the DC duties I still need the
> file and print services to continue for some time on the old server,
> which will now have to authenticate the users via the new AD. How does
> this affect the now local users and groups re-created on the new AD?
> Should the local users be removed and the UID/GID's manually
> reassigned to whatever Winbind (or another service such as SSSD)
> provides?
>
> I'm just not clear on the best way to go about this. Thanks for any assistance.
>
> Chris

Hi
Local users and groups are not affected by AD. All you need to set it up
is root access + whatever local users your distro needs for what you
have already.

Just a thought, but if you have a reasonable number of users it may be
better to spend your time reusing your data and starting again with your
users rather than using it to work out why the script hasn't worked. If
you can get your domain users in this form:
username uid gid <whateverelseyouneed>
it's easy to script around: samba-tool user add and group add
and add them to a new AD provision. Then join your file server to the
new domain.
Steve