[Samba] wbinfo behavior when run on PDC

Mike Morris mike at musicplace.com
Mon Dec 29 21:08:25 MST 2014

Hi,

I expected identical behavior from wbinfo and related tools, regardless
of whether run on the PDC or a member workstation, but that's not the
case. I want to know if this is a possible problem or not. (Domain name
is "musicplace".) Particularly:

 From the PDC:

  * "wbinfo --getdcname musicplace" fails, returning "Could not get dc
    name for musicplace"

from any member workstation:

  * "wbinfo --getdcname musicplace" succeeds, correctly returning
    "GALACTICA"

Note that "net rpc testjoin" and "wbinfo -t" both succeed on the PDC.

I'm wondering if this is cause for concern or not?

Thanks,

MikeM

Also, just FYI:

This command always succeeds on workstations:

  * "nmblookup -M musicplace" succeeds, returning "10.17.1.26
    musicplace<1d>"

but initially and intermittently fails on the PDC itself.