[Samba] Mixed Samba4 and 3.6 uids/gids

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Mon Dec 22 10:22:01 MST 2014

Hi William,

> I have an AD domain (Samba 4.1.13 domain controllers) and some Samba 3.6
> clients.
> I would like the uid/gid mappings to be consistent across the two sets of
> machines.
>
> The Samba4 DCs have the following line in smb.conf:
>
> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>
> and their uids/gids are in sync across all four of them.
>
> The Samba 3.6 domain members currently have:
>
> idmap config MBSW : backend = rid
> idmap config MBSW : range = 10000001-20000000

if you are using rfc2307 on one side and rid on the other, it is pretty
sure that it won't be in sync. You should use rfc2307 also on the samba
3.6, with something like

[global]
    workgroup = MONDOMAINE
    security = ADS
    realm = MONDOMAINE.LOCAL
    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
    idmap config MONDOMAINE:backend = ad
    idmap config MONDOMAINE:schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config MONDOMAINE:range = 500-40000

By the way, samba 3.6 is going end of life pretty soon (see the recent
4.2RC3 release notes), you should upgrade your 3.6 domain members to
samba4 too.

Cheers,

Denis

--