[Samba] Samba 4 problems

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:56:04 MST 2014

On 18/12/14 18:27, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:57:55 +0000
> Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, After sorting out your smb.conf, it would seem that you are
>> running samba4 as an AD DC and then trying to add parts to it that
>> are either the defaults or are not required. I would suggest that you
>> reinstate the original smb.conf (you did keep a copy, didn't you ?),
>> delete most of, if not all, the Unix users you have added, then add
>> them again, but this time to your AD. Unlike samba 2, when running
>> samba 4 in AD mode, you cannot have Unix users that are also AD
>> users, you store everything in AD.
>>
> The FreeBSD Ports system for reasons unknown to me does not install ANY
> smb4.conf file and provides no example.  The one I have came from
> someplace on the internet in the last couple of weeks.  A pointer to a
> good minimal smb4.conf file would be appreciated.

I cannot speak about freeBSD as I do not use it, but as I said samba4
can be run in two modes, it can be run just like samba 3 in classic
mode. In this mode, you need to supply the smb.conf and samba will run
as a PDC/BDC, member server or client, you will need to start the smbd &
nmbd deamons and optionally the winbindd deamon.

You can also run samba4 as an Active Directory Domain Controller, in
this mode, the smb.conf file will be created for you when you provision
the domain with samba-tool.

If you do run samba4 as an AD DC, you can use the id numbers you require
by creating the users in AD and giving them a 'uidNumber' containing the
id number.

As I said, read the wiki and then decide which way you want to go,
'classic' or 'AD DC'

Once you done this, come back with your new questions :-)

Rowland