[Samba] Samba 4 problems

Brett Wynkoop wynkoop+samba at wynn.com
Thu Dec 18 11:27:43 MST 2014

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:57:55 +0000
Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi, After sorting out your smb.conf, it would seem that you are
> running samba4 as an AD DC and then trying to add parts to it that
> are either the defaults or are not required. I would suggest that you
> reinstate the original smb.conf (you did keep a copy, didn't you ?),
> delete most of, if not all, the Unix users you have added, then add
> them again, but this time to your AD. Unlike samba 2, when running
> samba 4 in AD mode, you cannot have Unix users that are also AD
> users, you store everything in AD.

The FreeBSD Ports system for reasons unknown to me does not install ANY
smb4.conf file and provides no example.  The one I have came from
someplace on the internet in the last couple of weeks.  A pointer to a
good minimal smb4.conf file would be appreciated.

I have existing Unix users with many GB of files that I need to keep
the UID the same for because of interactions with other systems and
mounts via NFS.  Is there any way to force user smith to have uid=50
for example, or am I stuck with the auto-assigned UIDs that end up in
AD?

> I would suggest that you have a read here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

I have poked about the wiki a bit, but could not sort this without
resorting to the list, but I will again RTFM.  Always good advice.
Thanks.

> I know that you are testing here, but it would seem that samba 4.2
> will support OSX clients better, this version seems to be delayed due
> to problems, but I am sure that the wait will be worth it.
>
> Rowland

That sounds good, but I will probably be deploying with 4.1.13 unless
4.2 makes it out before my testing is over.  I have an immediate need
that just cropped up because all of the sudden I have to bring some
MS-Windows boxes into the mix here.  For years the site has been
running using just NFS.

Thanks!

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

A free people ought to be armed. - George Washington