[Samba] Samba Server not visible

Ed Russell erussell at ifbqsr.com
Mon Dec 8 10:08:57 MST 2014

I have recently setup a Samba Server that will act as a Domain Controller.  This is in my home LAN right now.  My plan is to use a similar setup at my office once I get a better handle on the ins and outs of running Samba as a AD.

My OS is CentOS 6.5.  My LAN is reasonably simple, a few Windows 7 machines and some Windows XP machines.  One Fedora client as well.   I have followed instructions based on 2 guides:

http://www.akrupp.ch/domain-controller-active-directory-with-samba4-rc1-and-centos-6-5/
https://folgaizer.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/samba4-on-centos-6-4/

Samba appears to be working just fine, along with acting as a domain controller etc.  I can manage the server with RAST and add users etc.  Dynamic DNS updates are working also.  One sticking point is that the Samba Server itself is not 'visible' on any of my clients.  In "Network" on my Windows 7 machines and Network Neighborhood on the XP machines.  On my Linux client (Fedora 20) it is also not visible.  I can however reach the server on any system by using UNC \\Server<file:///\\Server>.  That works fine.

My smb.conf is (XXX in place of my actual domain):

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = XXX
        realm = XXX.COM
        netbios name = SERVER
        server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, smb
        dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6, backupkey, dnsserver, winreg, srvsvc
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        wins support = true
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        log level = 3

        winbind nss info = rfc2307
        idmap config MYDOMAIN: range = 10000-20000
        idmap config MYDOMAIN: backend = ad
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/XXX.com/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        read only = No

[320GB]