[Samba] [samba] OpenLDAP proxy to samba4 AD

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sat Dec 6 07:44:07 MST 2014

Hello Elias,

Am 06.12.2014 um 15:32 schrieb Elias Pereira:
> Let's get this straight. What you say under option 3, can I upgrade to
> Samba4 and continue using openldap the same way we are using now, ie samba3
> + openldap. Then would be, Samba4 (without AD DC) + openldap. Would that be?

Samba 4.0 is just the version following 3.6 - with additional features
(e. g. AD) - but contains everything that was inside in the past, too.

So you can update to 4.1.14 in the same way, like you did in the past
(3.x -> 3.y) without changing your environment to AD. There is no plan
to remove the NT4 domain support. And when ever you want to switch to
Samba AD, then follow the classicupgrade documentation in the Wiki.

Depending on the age of your current Samba version, you should need to
adapt your configs to changes that came up in the past, like the new
Idmap config syntax in 3.6 (or was it 3.5?). It's always a good idea to
read the release notes from the versions you will skip. :-)

Regards,
Marc