[Samba] dnsbackend options question

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 28 01:12:36 MDT 2014

On 27/08/14 23:06, Craig Cigas wrote:
> I’ve been doing some testing on Ubuntu server 14.04 (Version 4.1.6-Ubuntu) over the last week or so. I found some fairly good guidance and configured a PDC using BIND9 as the dnsbackend without too much trouble. Configuring a BDC is proving to be a bit more of a challenge but I think I’m closing in on it (no cheating on AppArmor, permissions and such).
Lets get this out of the way first, you have not configured a 'PDC', you
have configured a 'DC', there is a big difference and ANY secondary
machine is not called a 'BDC' it is another 'DC'

> I’m reading the wiki (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS) and wondering.
>
> I’m a little new to Samba4 and maybe it’s a stupid question but, instead of running BIND on the samba VM, would it be simpler to configure internal then forward to an existing local BIND server that already has zones for intranet web servers and things like that?
Yes it would be simpler to use the internal dns server, you wouldn't
have to set bind9 up for a start, but the internal dns server would
still have to be authorative for your AD domain and anything that you
forward to another dns server would have to be outside your AD domain.
Your existing bind server cannot hold your AD domain records.

Rowland