[Samba] Samba 4 & share permissions

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Fri Aug 22 09:43:14 MDT 2014

Hello Sébastien,

Am 22.08.2014 14:02, schrieb Sébastien Le Ray:
> I'm using Samba 4 as an AD DC and have a file server under samba 4 too.
>
> I created a group "Share admins" with SeDiskOperatorPrivilege. Members
> can administrate the share without problems except when adding an
> user/adjusting permissions on existing shares. If some file is not owned
> by the share admins group, I get a "Permission Denied" error. Did I miss
> something? Shouldn't the SeDiskOperatorPrivilege bypass unix permissions
> (which seem to be the issue here)?

The Windows ACLs on a Samba share should work like on a Windows share.
So what permissions does your 'Share admins' group have on the share?
There is a special permission that allows changing ACLs (if you haven't
granted 'full control').

Just granting SeDiskOperatorPrivilege doesn't bring the god-mode :-)

> The wiki does not talk about this since the operations are done
> through the "administrator" user which is mapped to root.

It's not mapped to root - only if you do had configured that.

But you're right. I'll put that on my list and add some more specific
information about that to the guide.

Regards,
Marc