[Samba] Member server guide broken

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Aug 20 14:08:13 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 18:51 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 15.08.2014 14:28, schrieb Ryan Ashley:
> > Again, I am using 4.1.11 and since I see 4.2 is stable,
>
> 4.2 isn't stable! It's still a development version!
> You should not use a development version in production.
>

> > Why does everybody here always assume the new guy is wromg?
>
> But you are, if you're saying that the default of '--with-pam default'
> is 'no'!
>
> Have you read my reply to one of your previous posts in this thread
> (Attached below again. Please read it. I spend some time to revalidate
> the HowTo for you!). There's the proof. :-)
>

> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build-time_configuration_options#--with-pam
>
> Have you seen, when this page was last time edited?
> 03:55, 17 March 2006
>
> It is much more than outdated! We should remove this page.
>

> > Do I preally have to start putting videos on YouTube to prove this to
> > you people?
>
> I think it would be worth. Otherwise it seems we never find out what you
> are doing different than we're saying in the Member HowTo which works
> for all others here. Maybe something on your system is really different
> and this isn't mentioned there.
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: [Samba] Member server guide broken
> Datum: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:36:34 +0200
> Von: Marc Muehlfeld <mmuehlfeld at samba.org>
> An: admin at reachtechfp.com, samba at lists.samba.org
>
> Am 15.08.2014 05:26, schrieb Ryan Ashley:
> > The guide for PAM fails because, as can be seen on the build-time
> > parameters page, PAM IS NOT BUILT BY DEFAULT.
>
> Where did you read that?
>
> At least 'configure' tells me on 4.1.8, that _it is_ enabled by default:
>
> # ./configure --help | grep pam
>   --with-pam
>             Build with pam support (default=yes)
>   --with-pam_smbpass
>             Build with pam_smbpass support (default=yes)

Constant questioning of an excellent wiki article of which the author
took the trouble to ask for suggestions and contributions from everyone
here makes us look ridiculous.

FACT: The wiki is not broken. PAM has always been built. It has never
changed. Even the 4.2 GIT has it:

samba --version
Version 4.2.0pre1-GIT-55c279f

./configure --help | grep pam
  --with-pam
            Build with pam support (default=yes)
  --with-pam_smbpass
            Build with pam_smbpass support (default=yes)
    --with-pammodulesdir=PAMMODULESDIR

Please could the OP withdraw and correct the thread and post the links
to his YouTube videos which prove us all wrong?
Thank you,
Steve