[Samba] samba4 internal dns Server ddns for the reverse lookup Zone

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Aug 20 02:04:13 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-19 at 21:50 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 19/08/14 21:27, Markus Roth wrote:
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > thanks a lot :-) so in this case that i have a successfull configuration i would now implement an isc dhcp server under my centos 7 test environment. But how should i configure the dhcp server? I didn't find any howto. Only a skript from http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/2011/02/isc-dhcpd-dynamic-dns-updates-against-secure-microsoft-dns/
> > But is that the only way? And when it is the only way how must i integrate this script in dhcp?
> Hi, I have been doing the updates with dhcp this way for over 18 months
> now, You need to add a user to do the updates, create a keytab for that
> user, turn off ddns updates from windows clients and then dhcp runs a
> script that via nsupdate, updates DNS. I could probably come up with a
> howto, but it would be for Debian, so you would have to Centos-ify it
> yourself.
>
> Rowland

Hi
That's as good a way as any, but since you've taken the trouble to get
sssd and ddns updates working anyway, you may want to leave all the
machines as they are and use a dhcp server on a box other than the DC.
You may indeed already have one as most Internet routers have one as
standard. If not it is easy to setup a dhcp server on a spare box and
remember that it doesn't need to be joined to the domain. We're on
openSUSE and you can point and click a dhcp server in a few minutes.
Maybe Centos has something similar? Otherwise it's learning file syntax
I'm afraid.
Take your pick.
Steve