[Samba] Symlink outside the share path

Kathy banshee135 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:18:17 MDT 2014

Hello everyone --

I am stumped on this issue, mostly because I'm not quite sure if it's
behaving correctly or not.  I believe this used to work and right now I'm
not quite sure why it's no longer doing so and how to fix it (if possible).
 I suspect it is because of my recent update of the OS and Samba version.

When users are trying to follow a symlink that goes to a different mounted
filesystem on the same Samba server, they are getting:
*  reduce_name: Bad access attempt: <path> is a symlink outside the share
path*

I have a server that is both an NFS and a Samba server.  It is running RHEL
5.10 and Samba 3.0.33 (native RHEL packages). I recently patched from 5.2
to 5.10 and this also updated Samba to the current release.

My smb.conf file has me exporting /datavol/asic.as \\myserver\asic.
This works just fine for all users on Windows for files/subdirs in that
/datavol/asic path.

The problem comes when they try to get to files that are softlinked to
/globalscratch2 from /datavol/asic directories.

I have tried this both with and without exporting /globalscratch2 via
Samba.  Same results.

Previously, I had not exported /globalscratch2.

If someone had a simlink that was like this:

/datavol/asic/banshee/sim --> /globalscratch2/banshee/sim

They would be able to get to it with this path no problem:
\\myserver\banshee\sim

Any non-symbolic link subdirs are accessible just fine like this
\\myserver\banshee\localsubdir

I have another scratch dir NFS mounted on myserver as /globalscratch.  I am
not exporting this via Samba from myserver because it doesn't own the
filesystem.  I would understand the "symlink outside the share path" with
an NFS mount on myserver, although from myserver's perspective it is a
local file system.

I have always had the following in my smb.conf file:

follow symlinks = yes

I have tried adding:

wide links = yes
AND
unix extensions = no

to both the [global] section and to my share definition and nothing works.

Is there a way to get this to work?  IS it something that can work in later
versions of Samba.  I know it used to.  Both my users and I remember it
working so I know I'm not completely crazy.

Thanks!

Kathy