[Samba] Shares requiring "Everyone" access... [SOLVED]

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Tue Aug 19 07:13:07 MDT 2014

Louis is absolutely correct. Apparently Xerox only provides a bloatware
driver (it isn't bad like HP bloat, but still) and not a normal one for
their equipment now. They also have the audacity to say that Samba is
not a "standard" setup but Mac OSX is! Due to this, they urge people to
buy Windows Server! That is outrageous! I am personally going to go
install the driver and printer by hand, one at a time, on every system
at the client location today. I am also going to note this change and
urge my clients to not buy Xerox in the future due to their change in
support for Linux/Samba. Heck, even if they say Linux isn't "standard",
how about UNIX? Oh well, Samba is working correctly and Windows is
giving me the wrong error. Thank you to everybody who helped.

Now my last question involves those permissions. I am still not clear on
one thing. If I leave "Everyone" in the permissions list so the share
works, will a user in no groups at all be able to browse the share?
Also, can I safely remove the "CREATOR OWNER" and "CREATOR GROUP"
settings? If not, how do I ensure the owner and group of files for
directories and files are inherited and not set by the creator?