[Samba] Winbind question

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Aug 12 15:23:42 MDT 2014

Bruno,

You are correct in your description of RID.  It is a calculated, not
assigned, value as described at
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/idmap_rid.8.html . If
configured identically, all members/clients will have the same UID/GID
pairing.  However, because the calculation is done on a value derived
from the DC, the values will not be the same as the DC.  For my needs,
RID is quite sufficient; for others, it may not be.

Dale