[Samba] Winbind question

Bruno MACADRÉ bruno.macadre at univ-rouen.fr
Tue Aug 12 03:21:50 MDT 2014

I can't be totally affirmative, but with the mechanism of rid backend it
would be consistent.

If I well understand the mechanism of rid backend (correct me if I say
wrong), it works like this :

For a user or a group :
     - Requesting the DC for the objectSID of the user (or group)
     - Keeping RID part of the SID
     - Adding RID part to the minimal ID specified in 'SAMDOM:range'
     - Using result as UID/GID

So it would be consistent, 'cause SID are uniques (and by extension RID
too) and if your 'SAMDOM:range' is the same on all members the resulting
UID/GID would be the same.

I don't want to say wrong things to you steve, so if anybody with a
better knowledge of this mechanism can confirm (or not), it would be great.

Regards,
Bruno

--

Bruno MACADRE
  Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseau     | Systems and Network Engineer

	Tél : +33 (0)2-32-95-51-86
	Mob : +33 (0)6-74-71-45-64