[Samba] Samba 4 AD share: Access denied

Davor Vusir davortvusir at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 13:41:24 MDT 2014

> Alright, now all the printers are giving me access denied. I need an answer
> in the next thirty minutes or I am going to file a bug report. I have spent
> too many days and nights on this already. I have been over countless
> documents and such both at the Samba Wiki and at other sites. I worked with
> people on this list and I have tried so much that should not have mattered,
> and now we have other people reporting access denied errors, including one
> on this very list. I believe Samba is broken in some way currently that is
> denying access to everybody, despite proper permissions (ACLs) and
> configuration. I get denied access to both shares and printers, even though
> I have the correct UID/GID on all of my systems. I will await a response. If
> nobody can figure this out, I'll file the report so this can be fixed.

In my first setup, a combined (compiled) AD DC and file server I never
got it to work with "vfs objects = acl_xattr" in the global section. I
had two more shares and could not get the permissions to work until I
put "vfs objects = acl_xattr" in the share sections. The shares were
on LVM volumes mapped to directories later shared with Samba. My
conclusion is that "vfs objects = acl_xattr" in the global section on
a AD DC does not extend (or how to put it) beyond the netlogon and
sysvol shares. I have not tested this configuration on one (1) mounted
LVM volume where /usr/local and Sambashares reside.

I have now changed the setup to a dedicated virtual AD DC and a
physical file server because of poor network performance. After the
switch I experienced the same; proper permissions denies access... The
setup is still the same; mounted LVM volumes later shared with samba.
By removing "vfs objects = acl_xattr, map acl inherit = Yes and store
dos attributes = Yes" from the global section, as mentioned in
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_Windows_ACLs,
and instead putting "vfs objects = acl_xattr" in the share section
solves it. If you are using more vfs objects you may have to reorder
them. And I also noticed that removing Everyone from the Share tab
will neither let you edit nor remove ACE:s in the Security tab. So
first let Everyone be there, add Domain Admins, press Apply. Add
Domain Admins to the ACL, press Apply. Take ownership. After this
procedure you are able to edit ACE:s. This will not guarantee that
inheritence is correct. Again, "vfs objects = acl_xattr" in the global
section does not seem to extend beyond global section. And I'm not
sure why "map acl inherit = Yes and store dos attributes = Yes" are in
the global section (I'm using neither). Both belongs to a share
section according to
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html.

Hope it helps.

Regards