[Samba] Can these (unused) tdb files be removed after upgrading to 4.1?

Mark Reidenbach mark.a.reidenbach at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 08:54:44 MDT 2014

I upgraded our 3.6.22 server to 4.1.11 this past week.  We're using the
non-AD NT4 setup and the upgrade went well except for two users mapping to
different uids.  I think at least one of these may have been caused by a
very old smbpasswd file in /var/lib/samaba/private since the post-upgrade
uid was the same as was in this ancient file.

This led me to try and clean out old/unused files from the directory. I
found a list of tdb locations at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/TDB_Locations and removed the ntdrivers,
ntforms, ntprinters, and unexpected tdbs since they were marked as being
removed in 3.6.

It's been several days since upgrading and running "ls -ltu" shows that the
following tdb files have not been accessed post-upgrade and I was wondering
if they can safely be deleted (and if this could be added to the notes on
the wiki for the tdb locations):
  lang_en.tdb
  mutex.tdb
  notify_onelevel.tdb