[Samba] Winbind question

Bruno MACADRE bruno.macadre at univ-rouen.fr
Mon Aug 11 23:57:15 MDT 2014

Hi,

Le 11/08/2014 21:49, Chang, Jason (IW) a écrit :
> few things I would like to point out
> 1) One thing about getent group returning 'WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND'
> is result of insufficient range for sid to gid mapping. increase the range.
In my case 'WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND'  seems that "AD" backend can't
translate SID to UID.
> 2) For me, using "rid" as backend for consistent gid/uid mapping works
> across multiple samba. I wasn't able to get "ad" to work nicely.
That's right, RID backend is sufficient to get consistent gid/uid
mapping... but I don't know if it works with other Unix attributes like
unixHomeDirectory and loginShell.

After adding correct unix attributes to one of my users, it appears that
AD backend works fine and transfert all unix attributes to winbind.

> 3) is to make sure TDB config range and IDMAP config range doesn't overlap.
> e.g
> idmap config *:range 70001-80000
> idmap config SAMDOM:range = 80001-160000
It sounds logic, but I've a question... Is it possible to disable all
the 'idmap config *:' directives 'cause I don't want to fall in this
case if my AD was unreachable (TDB would cause a lot of problems like
inconsistency in that case) ?
> g'luck!
> -JGC
Thanks, you too !