[Samba] Samba 4 AD share: Access denied

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Tue Aug 5 22:24:23 MDT 2014

Plenty of replies since this afternoon! I will try to answer your
questions in order, as well as ask questions.

"All provisioning with RFC2307 does is add the ypServ30.ldif, it does
not do anything else, it is up to you to use it. "

Alright, how? Remember, all my domains are golden except this. I have
never had to use ldif files or assign ID numbers because they always
just worked.

"This is a known windows problem, search Google (other search providers
are available) for a solution."

I have been searching, and I have tried loads of results, to no avail.
Some said install libnss-ldapd, which I still don't know what it does,
others said to do various config entries, also to no avail, so I am back
here. I have reverted my changes since nothing worked.

"I'd guess you don't have a UNIX tab because the Samba AD schema doesn't
have it. I'm not sure why that would be, since I don't use any of the
UNIX AD extensions myself."

I never have either, it always JUST WORKED. This is not frustration with
the help, it is frustration in that it just refuses to work for no good
reason. That's why I am attempting to ditch Windows, because things just
don't work and nobody knows why. I actually feel that Rowland and Steve
have been great, and have made me SERIOUSLY question the highly
incomplete guides on the wiki. I mean nowhere does it mention the line
that creates the keytab for Kerberos in any guides. Nowhere does it
mention the ID's or anything else they have talked with me about. I
honestly believe the ID numbers will solve the issue, but I cannot do
that yet.

"You do not need to provision with rfc2307 nor do you need a UNIX tab to
allocate uidNumbers. You already have what you need. Please try it."

Alright, how? Again, and this is what I keep repeating, I have NEVER had
to do this before. Up to this very point in time, S4 has been
rock-solid. None of my other domains use the Kerberos keytab. None of
them use uID's or gID's. They all just work. You're telling me I have
the tools to do this, but it is like me telling you to adjust your main
jet to 1.5 turns out. Unless you're into antiques like I am, you haven't
a clue what I mean or how to do it. I am not trying to be rude, I just
literally do not have a clue how to do this.

"You have to activate advanced features in ADUC and edit the attributes
from the attribute editor tab."

Yes, I did that and saw it in there, but chose not to edit that way for
one reason. According to many posts I read on search results from
Google, the UNIX tab shows up once the system detects NIS. I believe NIS
is off for some reason, but I did the check at the link below and it
returned one result, indicating that NIS is supposedly enabled. It would
be better to simply show me a yes or no, but I guess that isn't an option.

ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -s base -b
CN=ypservers,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=truevine,DC=lan
Referenced from:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_RFC2307_on_a_Samba_DC

Ricky:
I have NOT pulled any packages from any repos. I cloned the official
repo, configured and built. It turns out that by default it builds
4.2.0-pre<xyz> instead of 4-1-stable. In an attempt to rule out a 4.2
bug, I uninstalled (make uninstall) 4.2 and configured and built 4.1,
then installed it. I completely removed any leftover files and
directories by hand, with the exception of my configuration file. Here's
the info you requested.

root at fs01:~# getent passwd | grep reachfp
reachfp:*:70010:70002:reachfp:/home/TRUEVINE/reachfp:/bin/false
root at fs01:~# getent passwd | grep cynthiaj
cynthiaj:*:70016:70002:Cynthia Jones:/home/TRUEVINE/cynthiaj:/bin/false
root at fs01:~# getent passwd | grep daquanm
daquanm:*:70002:70002:DaQuan Major:/home/TRUEVINE/daquanm:/bin/false
root at fs01:~# getent passwd | grep reach_support
reach_support:*:70015:70002:Reach
Support:/home/TRUEVINE/reach_support:/bin/false

=====================
FS01 Configuration File:
=====================
[global]
   netbios name = FS01
   workgroup = TRUEVINE
   security = ADS
   realm = TRUEVINE.LAN
   encrypt passwords = yes
   kerberos method = secrets and keytab

   idmap config *:backend = tdb
   idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
   idmap config TRUEVINE:backend = ad
   idmap config TRUEVINE:schema_mode = rfc2307
   idmap config TRUEVINE:range = 500-40000
   idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

   winbind nss info = rfc2307
   winbind trusted domains only = no
   winbind use default domain = yes
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes

   vfs objects = acl_xattr
   map acl inherit = yes
   store dos attributes = yes
   auth methods = winbind
   log level = 3

[install$]
   path = /home/shared/install
   comment = "Software installation files"
   read only = no
   guest ok = no

[staff$]
   path = /home/shared/staff
   comment = "Staff file share"
   read only = no
   guest ok = no

[fbc$]
   path = /home/shared/fbc
   comment = "Family Bible College file share"
   read only = no
   guest ok = no

One thing I am unclear on is whether or not I need "idmap_ldb:use
rfc2307 = yes" in member server configs or ONLY AD DC configs. Also,
what does "idmap config TRUEVINE:range = 500-40000" specify? I was
trying to set AD users to 70001-80000 for their ID's, but maybe I
misunderstand things. Thanks for your help and input. I'm not frustrated
with you guys, just the fact that ONE server is acting up and I am
having to do all kinds of things I have never had to do before just to
share files. It isn't a bad frustration however, I enjoy building
projects from source and using Linux in general. If this was Windows I'd
have found an alternative by now.