[Samba] Samba 4 AD share: Access denied

Davor Vusir davortvusir at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 14:18:27 MDT 2014

> Well, again, no issues until now. I never did the Kerberos keytab thing
> before, and everything works. Never did the NIS thing before, and everything
> works. Now I am learning these things should be done and I have been told
> what to do and have done them as well as documented them in our technical
> reference. However, I am now at the point where I cannot set ID's due to not
> having the UNIX tab in ADUC. I did provision with "--use-rfc2307" and it is
> in all of my S4 configuration files, but no luck yet. What do I need to
> check to get that tab to appear? If assigning an ID fixes this, I will
> HAPPILY do it on all of our domains as we go out for maintenance.

You have to activate advanced features in ADUC and edit the attributes
from the attribute editor tab.

It's a pity we couldn't help you sort this out. I think it's quite
strange that it doesn't work at this particular server as you say that
this is the standard way of yours to configure Samba. Why it doesn't
work, I really don't know. One thing that springs to mind is, and I
don't have knowledge enough to back it up, when using the TDB backend
you're not guaranteed consistent id mapping through the server park. I
have found nothing that states that winbind populates the
tdb-databases in a certain order (a-z, ascending SID numbering or
other mechanism). Which of course might give you different uidnumbers
(from the *:range) for different accounts. Please correct me if I'm
wrong. Is there a way to check this?

But I do think that Rowland and Steve are right to 'push' for
populating and using uid- and gidnumbers. uid- and gidnumbers with an
interpretator like winbind, sssd or other is a/the bridge between
Linux and windows. And it's a low-cost activation and maintenance. I
think you should consider their advice and rethink your setup.

Well, I'm out of ideas except that I have noticed that the activation
of vfs module acl_xattr in the global section of smb.conf does not
always/ever work on a mounted volume created from LVM. You might need
to/have to put it in the share section.

If you find out what caused this, please let us know.

Regards
Davor