[Samba] Samba4, sssd, new users vs. migrated users

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Apr 29 09:51:47 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-29 at 17:25 +0200, Denis Witt wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 16:55:34 +0200
> steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
>
> > Compare the DN of a migrated user with the DN for a new user. Post
> > the DNs here if you are allowed.
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> I noticed one thing while cleaning the DNs for posting it here. The new
> users have an Attribute "unixUserPassword" which the old users are
> missing. Also all new Users have the same value for this attribute.
>
> Questions is why the difference? How to get rid of that?

If that's the only difference, then removing that attribute should. . .
An easy way to lose it is to:
ldbedit --url=/path/to/private/sam.ldb cn=your-user

unixUserPassword:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/sfu/archive/2010/01/08/using-unixuserpassword-attribute-properly.aspx

> > What does /etc/pam.d/common* look like?
>
> I suppose they are fine as the migrated users works fine. But if they
> are still important I can pastebin them somewhere, of course.
No, just curious as to where sss was in the stack. Anything. To help us
help.

> > What error messages do you get at failed login time?
>
> sshd[32746]: Failed password for foobar from 10.0.2.51 port
> 37165 ssh2
Ah, ssh. Can you authenticate without it e.g. on a client joined to the
domain under sssd?
HTH
Steve