[Samba] Samba AD Setup report (success)

BOGENSTÄTTER Marcus marcus.bogenstaetter at empirius.de
Fri Apr 18 07:23:09 MDT 2014

Hi Samba-Team,

you wrote that you'd like to hear from users, so here I go ...:

I was just following your samba wiki on how to implement a new AD domain on an open Suse 12.3 using the Sernet rpm.

The documents are very precise, easy to understand and follow. Especially, the example makes it easy to understand.

Two things that I have/had a little difficulties with:

1)      In your example, you use 192.168.1.1 as IP for your domain controller. From my experience, I would expect x.y.z.1 rather for routers than for the DC. (This is what I have been seeing in the companies quite a lot, up to .10)

2)      In the DNS/bind-section (resolv.conf), you refer to the same IP, which is the DC, of course. This is correct, but maybe it could help, if you explicitely state, that it should be the IP of the DC, and not the one of your internet router or localhost/127.0.0.1 (sometimes found in Windows tutorials, which is wrong).
In Windows tutorials, I read that you should configure the DNS-IPs of your ISP as DNS-FORWARDER (rather than your internet router).

Maybe 2-3 words about those topics (role of router, ISP) could be of general help to users.

Thanks for all your work!
Marcus Bogenstätter