[Samba] Samba AD Setup report (success)

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Apr 22 11:28:23 MDT 2014

Hello Marcus,

Am 18.04.2014 15:23, schrieb BOGENSTÄTTER Marcus:
 > The documents are very precise, easy to understand and follow.
 > Especially, the example makes it easy to understand.

Good to hear successful stories.

> Two things that I have/had a little difficulties with:
>
> 1)      In your example, you use 192.168.1.1 as IP for your
 > domain controller. From my experience, I would expect x.y.z.1
 > rather for routers than for the DC. (This is what I have been
> seeing in the companies quite a lot, up to .10)

My previous employer and most of its customers used "254" for gateways.
At work someone defined "5" for that. I think there's no standard or
best practise on this.

You can find the definition of the used IPs, names, etc. in the HowTo:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO#Server_information

> 2)      In the DNS/bind-section (resolv.conf), you refer to
 > the same IP, which is the DC, of course. This is correct, but
 > maybe it could help, if you explicitely state, that it should
 > be the IP of the DC, and not the one of your internet router or
 > localhost/127.0.0.1 (sometimes found in Windows tutorials,
 > which is wrong).

I did a small change on that in the Wiki.

Regards,
Marc