[Samba] Samba 4 is half as fast as Samba 3?!

Tue Apr 22 02:07:29 MDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 09:59:47PM +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> >On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 10:48:22AM +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> >>
> >>With SMB2 I reach arround 85MB/sec
> >>With SMB3 I had 45MB/sec
> >>With NT1 I have 110MB/sec
> >
> >What kind of client is this?
>
> Win7. I wondered, why there was a difference between SMB3 and SMB2
> as Win7 should only work with SMB2 anyway. I then tried Jumbo-Frames
> (9000 MTU) but noticed a slow down by using that. I then switched
> back to 1500 and now I'm not able to detect any differences If I
> use SMB2, SMB3 or NT1. I verified with Wireshark that the Win7
> realy uses SMB2 if SMB2 or SMB3 is specified on Samba, and SMB if
> NT1 is specified. I always reach now arround 110MB/sec. I can not
> explain this. I really tried so many different settings in the past,
> did plenty of restarts and I can not tell you why I can no longer
> reproduce the bad transfer rates any longer :(

Ok, good and bad news :-)

If you can eventually reproduce this, what we need is raw
tcpdumps. In the mail footer below you see my office
address. Feel free to snail-mail a DVD with dumps.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de