[Samba] Ideas how to use Samba 4 AD and still offer standard LDAP authentication?

kurt at a-netti.com kurt at a-netti.com
Wed Apr 16 14:26:29 MDT 2014

Hi,

I have a working Samba 4 AD which is used by Windows clients. I also
have an LDAP server for use with Linux servers and web applications.

What I really need is the Samba 4 AD to be the single maintained
authentication database while providing an LDAP compatible server for
web applications (and preferably Linux). I've looked at extending the
Samba 4 schema, but that doesn't seem very easy (or even possible to
maintain?).

Any ideas on how to do this? I don’t mind running an extra LDAP server
as long as I have a way to sync the user accounts and groups from the
Samba AD.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, it would be awesome if Samba would provide a builtin
parameter to add and maintain posix attributes in the schema that would
have the values derived from their AD counter parts.

Regards,

Kurt