[Samba] Ideas how to use Samba 4 AD and still offer standard LDAP authentication?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Apr 16 16:59:44 MDT 2014

On 16/04/14 21:26, kurt at a-netti.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a working Samba 4 AD which is used by Windows clients. I also
> have an LDAP server for use with Linux servers and web applications.
>
> What I really need is the Samba 4 AD to be the single maintained
> authentication database while providing an LDAP compatible server for
> web applications (and preferably Linux). I've looked at extending the
> Samba 4 schema, but that doesn't seem very easy (or even possible to
> maintain?).
>
> Any ideas on how to do this? I don’t mind running an extra LDAP server
> as long as I have a way to sync the user accounts and groups from the
> Samba AD.

Microsoft AD and hence Samba AD are in essence LDAP servers, abait with
a particular schema  and you can for the most part interface with them
just as if they where. Certainly as far as any web applications a Samba
AD server can be treated like a LDAP server.

What in particular makes you think that this is not the case?

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.