[Samba] SeDiskOperatorPrivilege

david.lloyd at fsmail.net david.lloyd at fsmail.net
Fri Apr 11 12:10:42 MDT 2014

>>> will have to chown all of them to MYDOM\administrator to be able to do
>>> this.

What was the ACL on the old machine?  If they were Administrators "Full Control" (the normal ACL), I suspect that rsync has stripped all of your ACLs anyway.  In that case, yup you'll be resetting all of the ACLs.

>>> a) 'If Fred logs into the machine': does this mean that Fred logs into
>>> the Linux server running Samba as the Member Server and that in this
>>> case the Share permissions do not apply?

Yes, the analogy was with a file share on Windows, though, where logging in locally makes more sense.

>>> b) 'If he accesses over the network': This is what usually happens at
>>> our site. Does this mean that in this case the Share permissions
>>> constitute an upper bound for all file/folder DACLs? Would it be
>>> appropriate to apply 'Everyone Full Control' for the shares, given
>>> that the DACLs are correctly set?

I'd go for "MYDOM/Domain Users" or at most "Authenticated Users" if possible.

David L