[Samba] Samba 4.1.6 strange read performance issue.

Hans Rasmussen pannerup at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:56:39 MDT 2014

Hi All

Having the strangest performance problem with Samba on 1GB ethernet.

Clients are Windows 7. Server is a modern Xeon on an Intel Board with 16GB
ram running Opensuse 13.1 with all updates.  Samba is 4.1.6.  smb.conf
doesn't have anything special in it, haven't played around with the socket
options.  The server is a Xen host, samba is running on the host, not the
guest.

Writes to server are quick, 125MB/sec.  Reads are slow, sometimes starting
at 11MB/sec, but I have found a strange way of making them go faster.  On
the server over ssh, I open a 'vim'.  I then hit Ctrl-C to get the escape
prompt from vim and the read speed instantly doubles, hit it again, the
speed maxes out at 85MB/sec.  Watching top, the CPU usage by smbd starts at
6%, but increases everytime I hit Ctrl-C in vim.  Transferring the same
file to the server with FTP goes at 125MB/sec both ways.  I'm confused.

Hans