[Samba] Samba documentation team

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:44:21 MDT 2014

On 04/04/14 22:02, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> I use Samba 3.x domain controllers with an standards-compliant  LDAP
> backend.  The LDAP backend also provides authentication to unix
> servers from linux clients, user authentication to web servers, etc.
> LDAP supports all the necessary attributes for samba and unix users,
> radius groups, and autofs maps, e-mail address and phone numbers etc
> .       So a migration from Samba 3 to Samba is not just a migration
> for the Windows clients to an AD domain (which would  be great) it is
> also involves migrating  my LDAP backend to use the Samba server.
>
> The samba wiki fact indicates that domain trusts are not fully
> functional , which makes it effectively unusable for now.
>

> So I am in some what of a state of limbo-  not wanting to be in a NT4
> domain any more but not able to move to a  Samba AD domain.
>
> It is also not encouraging that the documentation  page on
> www.samba.org  (including the official how to)  is for Samba 3.
> It suggests that Samba 4 is still only for early adopters or testers.

Never really paid much attention to the documentation page on
www.samba.org, but now that you have drawn my attention to it, I went
and had a look at it. Never mind most of it not being relevant any more
, that page belongs in a museum, I think that the only thing that is of
any use is the link to the Samba licence.

Samba 4 is not just for early adopters and testers, it is the future and
don't forget 3.6 will reach end of life approx end of August this year.

Rowland