[Samba] File share permissions act different on member server than on DC

Keith McCormick kdmxp512 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 19:29:00 MDT 2013

Hi,

To enable my member server's ACLs to work just like the DC, as far as
Windows is concerned, I needed to add the following parameters to the
global section of smb.conf file on the member server:

         vfs objects = acl_xattr
         map acl inherit = yes
         store dos attributes = Yes

These parameters are apparently added in the background by default for
the smbd processes that are spawned by samba. Until I added those items,
just like you I could never get the ACLs to stick and work correctly.
Many of them were incorrectly labeled, also, even though the number was
correct and the same as on the DC.

Something to note: I believe the vfs object parameter does require that
xattrs work on the file system that you use.

Cheers,
KeithM